Friday, February 20, 2009

Obama admires Lincoln; what would Lincoln think?

Now that President Obama has very publicly underscored his reverence for Abraham Lincoln, most recently by ousting Winston Churchill's bust from the White House in favor of the 16th president's, it is time to examine some of Lincoln's best knnown quotations.

Some of those quotations are, in fact, timely. For instance:

“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.”

“I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong."

“The time comes upon every public man when it is best for him to keep his lips closed.”

“These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people.”

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

No comments: